Comments

7 comments

  • Avatar
    Laura Alagna

    Jim, did you ever find a solution to this question? I'm facing the same problem myself! Trying to archive https://northwestern.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=f10f3a5741a54fad845919018bc85498

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Jim Kammerer

    No.  I did not find a solution to this archiving problem.

    There must be others that are trying, maybe even, successfully archiving ESRI story maps. If you have any luck, I would love to hear back from you. Sorry I can't be more helpful. 

     

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Marcey Jastrab

    I have two on two separate sites.  The problem is they are created on templates that are hosted on either the ESRI site or the ArcGIS site.  Some some of the information is hosted on the site you are archiving, but the rest is elsewhere.  It's like putting many pieces together from many different websites.  Anyone had success?  

    The story maps are a relatively new technology from ESRI and they are gaining in popularity.  We will be seeing many more in the future.  Any ideas on how to tackle this challenge?  

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Jim Kammerer

    The discussion boards/forums have been pretty quiet on the topic of archiving story maps. I hope your post today prompts some fresh, helpful responses.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Marcey Jastrab

    I tried scoping the specific files from ESRI and ArcGIS in a test crawl but must have missed some.  I'm going to go back over it, but I thought if someone had already rode this rodeo and had advice, I'd love it before I dive in again.  Thanks for your response!  

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Jane Kelly

    Has any progress been made on capturing ArcGIS/ESRI content?

    I'm working on capturing a three-part series from the Houston Chronicle that includes a story map. I crawled the URL as its own seed as both a standard crawl and Brozzler crawl. (It's not clear to me which one shows up in the list of dates in Wayback.) I succeeded in capturing the text on the left side of the map, but the map images do not appear. Each time I click from one section to the next, scrolling through the text, the area where the map should appear displays a message that reads "Something went wrong, the map did not load correctly."

    Has anyone figured out if there's additional scoping that can help with this? Do we know if the issue lies with capture or playback?

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Marcey Jastrab

    As far as I know, there hasn't been any updates on Story Maps.  Part of the problem is much of the scripts/data/images/etc are stored on many different websites.  For example, ESRI requires many of the programs written for their products be stored on GitHub, but then they have standard templates they store on their own websites.  They also make custom templates for some companies, so those would probably not be accessible to the public.  These might be stored on an ESRI site or an ArcGIS site.  But then there are also map components and those can be stored in even more locations.  Finally, the host website has some of the files stored in their site.  It's pretty complicated and I think the crawlers just don't have the ability to capture all those layers and sources for the Story Maps.  I have a ticket that hasn't received an update in about a year.  I'm still waiting to see if they come up with a strategy.  Sorry, wish I had better news.  

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.