What are "Seed Types" and How do we use them?
A seed's type will determine which among a standard set configurations will define its crawling scope. You can use the following seed types to tell the crawler how much of a seed site to archive.
- Standard: Seed will be crawled and archived according to our default crawl scope. We recommend using this seed type for most websites.
- Standard plus links (Standard+) - Seed will be archived according to the default crawl scope, and will also include the first page of any URLs directly linked off of your seed. Examples of content that could be scoped in include social media feeds, YouTube channels, news articles on other platforms etc. This may significantly increase the amount of data the crawler is able to capture so please consider running a test crawl if you choose to use this seed type.
- One Page - Only the first page of your seed will be archived. Links to other pages will not be crawled. We recommend using this seed type for things like newspaper articles, blog posts, Wikipedia entries, and any other pages that you wish to archive without archiving their entire contexts.
- One Page plus links (One Page +) - The first page of your seed, as well as the first page of any URLs directly linked off of your seed, will be archived. We recommend using this seed type for things like news feeds or other pages that contain a list of links to pages on other domains that you would nevertheless like to capture. Examples of content that could be scoped in include social media feeds, YouTube channels, news articles on other platforms etc.
How to assign seed types
You can assign each new seed a type as you add it to a collection. If you do not choose any specific seed type, the Standard setting will be applied by default.
- Change the seed type of any individual seed within its management interface clicking on the seed itself. To change the seed type of a group of seeds, check the box next to the seeds that you would like to change and click the "Edit Settings" button:
- In the "Edit Seed Settings" dialog box, choose the seed type from the drop-down menu and click the "Save" button: