New TikTok seeds will have default scoping rules applied to them at the seed level when they are added to a collection. To learn more, including how you can add the default scoping rules to existing seeds, see: Sites with automated scoping rules.
Archive-It partners may archive TikTok posts, accounts, topic feeds, and their associated media like any other seed site. For best results, we recommend collecting with the Brozzler capture technology and the seed formats described below.
How to select and format your TikTok seeds
When adding new TikTok seeds to your collection, apply the Standard seed type and format the seed URL like the following, replacing only the unique username, video ID string, or tag where applicable:
- Post: https://www.tiktok.com/@museumofneonart/video/7010044943708327173
- Account: https://www.tiktok.com/@pbsnature/
- Tag: https://www.tiktok.com/tag/cartok/
Default scoping for TikTok seeds
All TikTok seeds added on or after October 1, 2021, will have the following scoping rules applied to them at the seed level, in order to ensure that the intended video posts are captured and endless other “recommended” video posts are not:
- Ignore Robots.txt
- Block URL if it matches the regular expression: ^https?://([^.]*\.)*tiktokcdn\.com/[^.]*video\/tos\/.*$
- Block URL if it contains the text: byteoversea.com
- Block URL if it contains the text: tiktok.com/acrawler/
- Block URL if it contains the text: tiktok.com/api/policy/
- Block URL if it contains the text: tiktok.com/api/recommend/
- Block URL if it contains the text: tiktok.com/api/share/
- Block URL if it contains the text: tiktok.com/node/share/discover
Default scoping will collect all of the video posts associated with an account’s or tag’s seed URL. To archive only the homepage for an account profile or a trending topic, use the One Page seed type.
What to expect from your TikTok archives
Archive-It Wayback cannot yet replay scrolling feeds infinitely for longer TikTok account profile or tag feeds.